Sunday, July 20, 2008

Goyokin - or 'why we can't sit back and not do good the first time'

Amy and I have been going round and round with the kids. We constantly feel like all we do is tell the kids: NO! or IF YOU DO THAT YOU'RE GONNA LOSE (put in their favorite thing) FOR THE DAY (or tomorrow or the next day, etc.) We've been feeling like we're falling into the DON'T DO IT frame in mind, rather than (like Erwin said today) dealing with the attitude. Once you get to the actual wrong action, it's sort of too late. Lots of work to pull that attitude back.

Which brings me to the movie that I saw tonight - GOYOKIN. I know, I know. Japanese. Samurai. Ships full of gold. Dice. I get it. But dang, it sort of nailed where I'm at.
Thumbnail of the plot. A smaller province is out of money. They decide to rob a boat full of gold going to the Shogunate. But in order to do that they have to KILL an entire village to cover up their bad deed. It's all about killing the few to let more live. But our hero, Magobei, comes across the guys from the clan doing the killing and quits the clan, rather than be a part of the killing/robbery. So they get away with it. Later, Magobei finds out they're doing it again and feels like a coward because he didn't do the right thing from the start and stop his brother-in-law. Now another town's life hangs in the balance.In other words... we gotta do what is right. Now. For our kids sake. For OUR sake. Even though sometimes it's hard. Cuz who wants to spend their life trying to fix mistakes. For now, it means, as a family, saving money for a children's village in Zambia. Trying to help our kids look outward, rather than inwards. And live a life of adventure.

(Maybe become samurai along the way. Swords are cool.)

got it on NETFLIX. if you're interested...

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

only you, scott, only you could get parenting tips from a movie!

Anonymous said...

From a Samurai movie at that.