Sunday, August 10, 2008

I WENT TO SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE!


So if you know me at all... I am HUGE fan of SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE.

My good friend Rebbecca, having complete knowledge of my geekiness for the show, invited me to go with her after she scored two tickets from a friend who works there.

Rebbecca and I arrived at the studio fully prepared to take in every and all dance AND.... to find out who would win!

Upon arrival I was more than surprised to find out Rebecca's friend not only set up with two tickets, but backstage access too!  We entered through the back stage, and found our selves standing next to Mandy Moore (one of the choreographers) and Gev (one of the dancers). Rebbecca and I looked at each other and grinned like goofy school girls.   I was so happy!

Now... I have worked in production throughout the years on many half hour comedy TV shows in which we would have live audiences the night we filmed.  I remember seeing all the geeked out fans each week and at the time, I would just roll my eyes at their giddiness... but there I was last Thursday  evening dorkier than any of those fans ever were or ever would  be.  

As we found our seats, I past Shane Sparks, Tyce Deorio, Tabitha and Napoleon and Mia Michaels.  Mary Murphy had friends that were sitting right in front of us, so she stopped by to visit them before going on air.  The audience seemed to be mostly choreographers and their friends,  the dancers' family and a couple of celbs scattered about.  How the heck did I get so lucky to be there????

It was so great to see the dances in person and it was so interesting to see how they cut the show together with some pretaped segments and then the rest of the show which was live of course.

I sat there for the entire two hours taking it all in standing with great applause quite frequently for those amazing dancers.

SPOILER ALERT - If you have not watched the show on tivo yet and haven't read a single thing online yet about who won, don't read  on any further.
After Joshua was announced "Americer's Favorite Dancer", the confetti cannons went off and the big party on stage began.  It lasted for a good half hour or so after the cameras were off and the audience went home.  Because of our extra special passes we went down in front of the stage and watched the party unfold standing amongst family, choreographers and dancers.
On our way out the door Joshua's grandfather turned and smiled at me.  I smiled back and said to him 'Joshua's really great!!" (as if he does not know that already) and he beamed with great pride and gave me a big side hug.  

What an extremely FUN, FUN, FUN time we had!!!!!  Rebbecca and I did not stop the music and danced all the way home only to turn on the TV at her place to find out if you could see us on camera in the audience.  (I know still dorky, but what the heck I just had to look right?)

just in case you're wondering... no we did not make the cut on screen, but we sure were there and that's all that matters!!!!   SO MUCH FUN!!!




7 comments:

Jennifer said...

DUDE!!!!!!!!!

Deana said...

Oh man! What fun!

The best part about this blog though? The fact that Scott posts here too and you can't tell who's typing except by context! So I'm reading for a while trying to figure out which one of you is telling the story and I get to the part about giddy schoolgirls and I really just had to laugh!

Anonymous said...

WOOOOO HOOOOO!!!!!! OMGoodness!!!!! We (me and kids) have been so into that show this season. The plan is to make it to a tour show coming in the fall but we've yet to get our tix. I am so going to book them now. I am not one to get star struck either but on this occassion I would be right there with ya! How absolutely AWESOME you got to go!

Kate Rudd said...

This post is just delightful. I laughed the whole time because you did such a great job of describing your childlike joy!

:)

Sounds like the summer of FUN lately - which you totally deserve!

palomarace said...

Jen - DuuuuUUde!!!

Deana - HA!!!! I never even thought to say it was me... makes total sense. That's funny though!!!!

LILIA I want to go when they are on tour too! So fun!!!

kate - Yes! I was totally embracing my inner dork and completely lovin' life!

Anonymous said...

Thats so great! I do happen to know how you get when SYTYCD comes on, so I know it was a major treat!
I'm glad you had the opportunity to be treated to a night at Largo as well. someone treated me to one not long ago, and I was blown away by the performances.
So happy to know you are able to get away and have fun!
miss you

palomarace said...

thanks jose! yeah I have had a couple of fun evenings I'd say huh? I miss you too!