We pulled our hot rod minivan up to the new Largo theater off La Cienega in West Hollywood for valet.
I stumbled out of the Quest to find the aesthetics of old Hollywood pulling me right into the small courtyard anchored by a brick floor that opened into the night sky. The courtyard led us to the dark red walled lobby lined with with a single row of black and white photos of the latest and greatest people who have performed there. I quickly found the Art Deco ladies room sign and stood under it as a bell rang for everyone to find their seats.
Scott zipped right in and out of the men's room and came out only to give me that anxious glare "hurry up!"
Us ladies in line, all twelve of us stood with great patience, full bladders and in absolute silence. After finally getting in to the facilities and then out, I found my self squeezing through the narrow doorway brushing past the newly added members of the line. I rushed as fast as I could trying to appease the more than tense look in Scott's eyes and the third ring of the bell's call to get in your dang seat NOW... but when I looked up glancing at the remaining ladies in line, there I was, face to face with Chloe Sevigny. I smiled and then hurried passed her to find my dang seat. NOW.
Once inside the theater, it did not disappoint. The old Hollywood aesthetic still rang true. It was a quaint little theater. Not too small. Not too big either. I glanced around the room to see many couples, hipsters, and Sarah Silverman with one of the Gaybers.
The lights dimmed. A deep voice called us all to stand from back stage and proceeded to sing God Bless America (very eloquently I might add, in Spanish). A female voice joined in in a very vibratos, over the top manner... we were all chuckling and a little confused. Applause filled the room and then Maya Rudolf and Fred Armisen from Saturday night live walked into the spotlight as Jon Brion took his seat at a piano surround by many other instruments.
The room was silent.
Maya and Fred began reading short scenes written by Paul Thomas Anderson. while Jon plucked and tapped exposed piano strings in a staccato rhythmic fashion. These scenes ranged from simple, yet very funny dialogue between a man and woman on a date.... to a husband scientist smashing lit large round light bulbs trying to make "it" work. His very calm "wife" looked over his shoulder as he crazily bashed in the bright bulbous shapes, shooting out a funny comments here and there. The quick witted conversations had us all roaring throughout the night.
As the night drew to an end. Scott grabbed my hand and we exited the theater as a couple... without kids... just he and I... on one fantabulous date... (did I mention we were without kids). We passed the crowds lining the sidewalk waiting for autographs. He and I were smiling big, loving life, talking about the show while we waited for our... minivan.
4 comments:
what a lovely time. nice to hear (read) your voice again.
thanks Ann-Krestene! i know it has been a while huh? I feel like such a zombie lately. I am never inspired or awake enough to write anything lately. This weekend... however 2 in row, KA-POW!!!!
I love this!!!! Such a good night...the only thing missing...?
Me as the babysitter!
Just stumbled on from your twitter account. I'm visiting LA next week and all I know is Friday night I'm finally going to the Largo.
Post a Comment