
From the time Scott and I got married years ago, we had always talked about working on a film together. The idea has always been, that he would write the script and possibly direct it. Then I would naturally do the production design. Well, Scott wrote a short film recently. The script is really great and he now has the opportunity to direct it as well. I, however have absolutely not one thing to do with the production design. I am so busy with free lance design projects, that I could not possibly take on another project at this time. Scott who has been going to production meeting after production meeting in the evenings came home one night and excitedly announced "THIS IS IT, THIS IS IT! We are finally working together on a film!!!!" I was puzzled, because he knew I could not do the Production Design. That's when he belted out to my surprize... "You can do the storyboards?!!!!" I thought about it for oh..almost one second and said NOPE! Now, if there is one thing you should know about me is that , I love art, I like to sketch here and there, I enjoy painting and I love to sculpt, but my talents are in serious need of refinement. It has been years that I have picked up a pencil to make any attempt at drawing something. It has only been just recently that I started putting pencil to paper again. In a nut shell, my thoughts on my sketches are this: no one in their right mind should have to look at my drawings let alone Directors of Photography, Producers, Location Scouts, Special Effects Guys and Stunt Coordinators. Can you tell I'm a little insecure in this area?

Well, Scott took, my definitive NO with sadness, but came to terms with it quickly. He mentioned it again here and there, but he never pressured me, until last night. He told me that I just needed to TRY. Every other storyboard artist he had lined up fell through. He was desperate. He told me the drawings did not have to be great, but they just needed to get the ideas across. He showed me, story boards from Martin Scorsese's Taxi Driver (seen at the left). mmmm... ok... I think I could do that. So I tried. Throughout the evening as I attempted to draw the visions that have been bouncing around in Scott's head, he quickly snagged each and every last drawing, before I could crumple them up and condemn them to a dark desolate future in the trash.
So... all that to say...I guess because none of the sketches made it to the trash, I am now the new storyboard artist for Scott's short film Who'dve thunk!
4 comments:
i've got two words:
sah-weet!
very good.
you should feel very proud of yourself :)!
I keep coming here and asking myself, did I comment yet...then I get sidetracked and don't comment.
So...very cool. I'm glad you are getting to use your gifts to help your husband out and be creative at the same time!
Post a Comment