Most people get dogs...cats... birds...or...even fish for pets, but NOOOO not OUR family - we get COCKROACHES!
Zane got these two lovely hideous things a while back. He wants to be an entomologist when he gets older. So when our neighbor approached us with the glorious opportunity of becoming the proud owners or should I say care givers( that's more p.c. right?) of Madagascar Hissing Cockroaches, Scott laid the final decision on me and Zane laid the heavy pressure on me. So the choice was all mine to make. That's just great! Let me be the crusher of my child's dreams. Thanks Scott!
My first reaction was absolutely NO WAY!!! For one, well... because of the obvious... they are COCKROACHES and who in their right mind voluntarily has roaches in their house AND feeds them so they'll stay alive and grow no less, but also because I had the misfortune a few years back to have a three-inch brown cockroach crawl all the way up my leg straight to my hip. When I put my hand in my pocket, I felt a crumbled up piece of paper. I searched deeper into my pocket to find the balled up paper, that's when the crunchy paper MOVED! "THERE'S A BUG IN MY PANTS!" I screamed as I ripped off my jeans in hysteria right there in the middle of the kitchen with guests over and everything. I DID NOT CARE! I hopped around pants free, bare legs flailing everywhere, screaming, at the top of my lungs which caused a chain reaction. My girl friend then started screaming, then her mom started screaming and then Scott walked in the room to find out what all the commotion was, only to find his crazy wife dancing around half nude in a room full of screaming girls. All that to say - I don't care for cockroaches much. Actually, I abhor them. They know it too. They are out to get me.
But what do you do when your kid wants to be an entomologist? Denying him these bugs would be the equivalent to my mom denying me drawing pencils and paints as a kid (that's what my guilt ridden brain told me anyway) So I reluctantly accepted our neighbor's generous gift and now... we have bugs for pets. But I will tell you, if those huge bugs ever get out of their cage, I WILL without hesitation be the crusher of Zane's dreams in a heartbeat. There will be no more bugs getting in this girl's pants- that's for sure!
4 comments:
Oh Amy you had me cracking up with this one. I saw cockroaches that big in Jamaica...they creeped me out!
Oh and in case you haven't heard it today...you are the PERFECT mom for Z and A! Because I'm here to tell you...those big ol' bugs and I could not co-exist!
thnx D! Yeah my sister said when she was in Jamaica the roaches were super HUGE and they would fly into her shower while she was showering. Let's just say things did not go well.
I am just hoping they do not have babies. I will have to put my foot down if that happens. Blah, Can you imagine us suddenly becoming roach breeders. Those babies would have babies and then those babies would have babies and then BAM! an explosion of exponential roach growth. We would have our own special roach commune.
Oh I am getting sick just thinking about that.
Well at least these are the kind that they make whole zoo/museum exhibits for which means there must be something truly special and unique about them. So how long is their lifespan?
i believe that their life span is...waay too long!
ugh. i know if you really get down to the bare bones about having any pet it's all nasty...i mean i pick up dog shit...NASTY! but really...bugs for pets? couldn't do it...you're a good woman.
Post a Comment