Friday, June 22, 2007

AHHHH.... THE DENTIST!

With the first week of summer came many doctor's and dentist's appointments. Zane, unfortunately had to get two fillings at the dentist. This was a first for Zane. If there is one thing I absolutely despise it is... going to the dentist! But I had to be strong for Z right? I did not want to infect him with my phobia. So I put my brave face on.

Well, they sat my kid down in the plastic covered chair and that's when the dentist announced they were going to drill with no shots, laughing gas or anything, NO SHOTS! NO GAS! I began to panic. What kind of dentistry is this? I was a little horrified to say the least, but the dentist reassured me that the shot would hurt worse than the drilling because his cavities were very shallow. GULP! ok, I thought. I hesitantly trusted him and he began to drill. In between drilling the dentist would look up every once in a while and repeated "Are you ok? Are you ok?", but not to Zane... to me. I must have had the look of horror sprawled across my face. Zane got scared by the noise, the pressure and probably by the look on my face and his tears began to roll. I immediately went into my mama protection mode. I wanted to grab my kid and run.

The dentist asked Zane if it hurt and Zane said it felt like a bee sting in your tooth. Zane reassured me that he was ok and they went on to the next tooth. After it was all done, Zane said he was glad he did not get the shot in his mouth but, vowed he never wanted to have another cavity filled again. I was with him on that. He started asking me what more he could do to prevent cavities. I told him to continue to brush his teeth twice a day very well and floss. He asked why we have to floss and I explained the why and what for and all the gory details of gingivitis and that if gingivitis gets really bad, your teeth could fall out.

There was a long pregnant pause as he took in all this new information about the lovely gum disease. Then Zane looked at me in the most earnest of ways and busted out with:

"You know mom... getting gingivitis would be absolutely great!"

Astonished by his confident, foolish statement, I asked him why.

" Well, " he responded "you'd make a ton of money from the tooth fairy"

2 comments:

bandwidow said...

he, he, he

Anonymous said...

LOL....HA HA HA HA HA......I LOVE this kid!!!