
I got two free advanced screening tickets to" A Mighty Heart" which showed last night at the Arclight in Hollywood. I grabbed my friend Rebecca and we got there early to stand in line so we would not miss this much anticipated movie that we were both so very excited to see. Well, who knew that our early arrival would not cut it. We should have gotten into line 3 1/2 hours before the show in order to see this special screening. I can understand people standing in line for this absurd amount of time if Angelina and Brad were actually going to be there, (not that I would or anything), but NO, there was not a star to be seen except for... that is... Giovanni Ribisi coming out of a theater. He seems to be following me lately first Malos on Sunset now the Arclight. But anyway I digress, Well, we did not see the movie obviously and our hype fizzled fast. We suddenly found ourselves scrambling to find another movie to see.
As each movie on the marquee was dismissed for whatever various reasons we had in that moment, La Vie en Rose slowly rose to the top of our list. Rebecca and I both went into the movie knowing nothing about this film and very little about the famous French singer Edith Piaf who the movie was about, but I was there to give it a chance. The first fifteen minutes led me to believe that I would NOT be able to sit through the 2 and some hour movie, but my being captive in a black box theater, kid free and care free, I thought what the heck did I have to loose so I watched on.
And boy am I glad I did, as the film unwrapped I became completely engrossed in the story. The actress Marion Cotillard who plays Edith Piaf is absolutely amazing. I was captivated by her voice and impressed by her acting. She completely went for it unabashedly, even the ugly. Her acting was absolutely outstanding. The film was pieced together in such a way that kept the story alive and exciting.
The movie started off with Edith Piaf's humble beginnings as a child being raised in a whore house that her grandmother ran and then it followed her to the rise of greatness and fame. Edith's story is sad, empowering and encouraging. Overall, I really like this movie a lot and I am so glad I saw it. I recommend it.
I found this clip of Edith Piaf singing La Vie En Rose in 1954
1 comment:
Oh I love finding gems like this. Your blog has been really great to read. Thanks for keeping up with it.
Carrie
Post a Comment