Saturday, June 23, 2007

POWER TOOLS FOR POWER WOMEN

Today I got up at the crack of dawn, (not that this is anything new having the two kids that I do) but instead of the usual, making breakfast and getting kids dressed, I got up this morning to build a house. My friend Rebecca and I went to an all women's build for Habitat for Humanity . About four hundred women from the tv and film industry came out to build a triplex for three families who have no homes. I met producers, directors, entertainment lawyers, and even a couple actors there like Jeanne Tripplehorn who plays the first wife on HBO's Big Love and Julie Bowen from Lost.

Well, when Rebecca and I got to the site there was nothing but lumber on the ground. I was a little intimidated what lay before me, I had never build a house before as many of the other women walking onto the site. How in the world was this going to happen? Well to start things off we were instructed to grab our tools and tool belts, our pink hard hats and t-shirts scripted with "Power Tools - Power Women". We were put into teams and then we were promptly put to work. Our crew leader a twenty year old USC girl from Indiana taught us everything we needed to know. We hammered our little hearts out to the beat of Gwen Stefani and by lunch time we actually had some of the walls of the house already standing. Wow! construction is hard and meticulous work, I'll tell ya. I would line up 2x4s to a perfect square and somehow while I nailed it all went askew. I feel like I used a cat claw (something to help take nails out) almost as much as a hammer. whew! Let me just say I am one tired chica tonight. My muscles are so sore, I can barely move my arms. So on that note I will let the pictures say the rest.



2 comments:

bandwidow said...

very cool amy, you'll be feeling that for a couple days!

Anonymous said...

did you get to keep the hard hat, or the tool belt...what a great project to be a part of!