I am nervous about the trip for a few reasons, I am a little scared, (ok a lot scared), because there are BEARS! We are going to bear country! Everything that I have read about the campground that we will be staying at, says that there is a good chance we will encounter at least one bear while camping there. We will be with the other family during the day, but I will be alone with the kids at our own campsite at night. My biggest fear is that a bear will enter my campsite while we are sleeping and we will have nothing but a thin piece of nylon separating us from the claws of a big hungry black bear. YIKES. Uh.. I think I would soil sleeping bag!
Not only am I worried that a growling beastly bear may come out at night and paw at my tent, but I am also worried that my sweet little three year old Audrey who has been searching out her sense of independence and finding her free will lately may decide to show her own growling, beastly three year old side and deem the forest a perfect place to have full blown fits. (Although, maybe her echoing cries bouncing from mountain to mountain would be enough to scare away the bears… hmmm… ok so maybe her fits aren’t so bad)
But then the other thing I stress about is with the given fact that I will be surrounded by bears, mountains lions and cougars (oh my!), I will have Zane, my adventure seeking, boundary testing, rock climbing, ever exploring, always running, six year old boy to keep at bay, so he does not accidentally find himself face to face with a mountain lion. (This trip will be fun right?)
But in spite of all my worries, I am SO extremely excited to go north, to be still, to rest, to enjoy God’s beauty, and to be amongst the giant Sequoia trees standing majestically on lush rocky mountain sides overlooking rushing rivers that have carved through the canyons. I look forward to lounging by a camp fire, reading my new book in the quiet hush of the blowing trees. Ahhh … it will be so peaceful… at least I hope so!
currently reading:
Going On a Bear Hunt
by Michael Rosen and Helen Oxenbury
8 comments:
you're a braver woman than i...although i would totally go with you if i was in LA! i know we'd have a laugh riot all night long guessing what each sound could be...
Have fun, I am a huge camper and my crazy thoughts in the middle of the night in our thin tent still get the best of me! Just don't bring anything edible inside your tent at all, no trash, candy, gum, toothpaste and you will be totally fine!
...and flashlights for each of you! i slept one night in a tent with just the 2 boys, while tim slept nearby in a single tent. and, yes, i did get a bit freaked out too. but the nature and simple-living of camping makes for a quite relaxing and refreshing experience. have fun!
ok, really want to know how things went!!
I have been a mad woman prepping for this trip. I leave this week. I will be gone for a bit. I will come back with lot's of pictures and stories I am sure. i will post them as soon as I can. thanks for the tips ann & tania. I hear that you guys are going camping too! So much fun!!!! I can't wait to hear your stories.
and yes- jen, we WOULD be laughing all night. It probably would scare the bares away. You should probably go, ya know, to help keep me safe n' all. ;)
i love that you just typed bares instead of bears (this may have been intentional, but it made me laugh...)
You will have a great time. I've been to the same place a few times, and yes there are bears, but think of the adventure! Just make lots of noise if they come around and don't leave any food out.
Carrie
I understand bears can be friendly people, like me.
Post a Comment