Thursday, November 15, 2007

GIRLS BUG ZANE


Zane, my six year old, is the recent proud owner of.... an ant farm full of worker ants.

Yes, I am afraid to say we have more bugs.

When your son wants to be an entomologist, it pretty much guarantees you a plethora of random knowledge about pesky creepy crawlies.

Well, right before Zane was going to bed tonight, we were having, you know your basic conversation about... Harvest Ants. I mentioned to him how I read that all worker ants are female. The girls build the nest, they clean the nest, they take care of the young, they gather food and they defend the colony against enemies...



****crickets****




"WHAAAAT! all my ants are GIRLS!"

"yup"

"Where are the boy ants?"

"Well, after they meet the queen, they die." I respond.

"Boy oh boy," he mumbled "I don't know about all these bugs... I mean c'mon there's boy Harvest Ants who die after they meet the queen, Girl Black Widows that kill the boy black widows, and then Girl Praying Mantis who EAT the boy Praying Mantises....

... I am gonna have to find me some bugs that appreciate boys!"


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

good he's learning that early! hahaha!

Dana said...

Oh my gosh I am laughing so hard picturing Zane so irritated:)

Love you!

Unknown said...

Us guys are waaaaay under appreciated. It's the way of the world. I know, I should be used to it by now, huh?

bandwidow said...

that's great!

Kate Rudd said...

good luck, zane..
this is too funny.

:)

Jennifer said...

ha!
next up...the birds and the bees!

tania said...

funny! that is so cool that he's got that ant colony to observe!