The other day I was locked away in the kitchen all day making dinner for 60 people who have graciously volunteered their summer days to teach inner city kids at a summer arts program called Illuminate that our church Mosaic puts on. The kids learn dance, photography, drawing, music, drama, painting, you name it. They have an absolute ball and learn from all these amazing professional artists.
Well, when I was in the panic stage of what I was going to make for the masses, I suddenly remembered that I had a great recipe nestled away in a binder that has not seen the light of day since last summer. It is one fantastic, tasty little pasta salad, just perfect for hot summer days. It's pretty simple to make (especially when your making it for only 8 people) so I thought I would share:
PASTA SALAD WITH MOZZARELLA, SUN-DRIED TOMATOES AND OLIVES
1/2 cup drained oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
6 tablespoons olive oil ( I use the olive oil from the sun-dried tomatoes)
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon drained capers
1 garlic clove, minced
1 pound fusilli or farfalla pasta
12 ounces cherry tomatoes, cut in half
8 ounces fresh water-packed mozzarella cheese, drained, (I get the ciliegine size from TJ's and cut the balls in half)
1 cup (packed) fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (about 3 ounces)
1/2 cup minced pitted oil-cured black olives (I use pitted minced kalmata olives if I can't find oil-cured olives)
Blend first 5 ingredients in processor until tomatoes are coarsely chopped. Set dressing aside.
Cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until just tender but still firm to bite, stirring occasionally. Drain. Transfer to large bowl. Add dressing to hot pasta; toss to coat. Cool, stirring occasionally. Add chopped fresh tomatoes, mozzarella, basil, Parmesan and olives; toss. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be made 6 hours ahead. Cover; chill. Bring to room temperature before serving.)
Makes 8 servings
If I had a camera other than the one on my phone, I would have taken a beautiful picture that would make you want to go right out, get the ingredients and make it today, but I don't, so just picture yumminess.
Friday, July 27, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
yum-yum
mmm mmm mmmmm! that does sound good! I am picturing yumminess right now!
yummy! i'll have to give that one a try!
Post a Comment