
The Hollywood Forever cemetery where such greats like Charlie Chaplin, Rudolph Valentino and Johnny Ramone are buried, shows movies throughout the summer on a large mausoleum wall.
Scott has always been intrigued by this event and has wanted to check it out for quite sometime now. I, from the first time he ever mentioned it, dismissed the whole idea instantly. But Scott, being the persistent guy that he is, lined up a babysitter Saturday night and surprised me with a date ...at the cemetery. Sounds morbid huh? I thought so too! I thought we would be the only non goth people there, but as we entered the huge iron gates to the cemetery, I was surprised to see a sea full of people ranging from hipsters to nerdy types, from conservative looking dads types to punk girls sporting streaked red hair and black skinny jeans.
We followed the mass of people down a winding road all the way through the cemetery past large massive stone memorials and headstones to the very back of the grounds. No one seemed to veer off road. All seemed to avoid trampling over grave sites. There was unspoken respect amongst the crowd.
When Scott and I finally got to the far east mausoleum, we quickly found a place for our chairs on the green plush lawn surrounding the building. People all around us dined on their picnic dinners and sipped wine in the dim evening light. Some even brought tea light candles to adorn their blanket that marked out their space on the grass. As the movie started people curled up under plaid throws and snuggled with their pillows ready for their graveyard cinema experience.
Well, after the night was over, I had to fess up to Scott and admit that I truly enjoyed myself. I had such a good time that I started planning a return to the graveyard in August to see "Pee Wee's Big Adventure". Scott and I are going to try to get a group of friends to go with us. Perhaps... just perhaps... we will get another cemetery screening convert. BWAAAA HA HA HAAAAAAA!
1 comment:
hahahaha first one to comment!!! I rule!!!
Post a Comment