Sunday, September 16, 2007

BEAKS AND TREES

I was talking with Scott this morning while driving. The kids were in the back and our conversation was in the front. I was just shooting the breeze on... well, 'how to get rid of one's ugly thoughts in one's head'. You know your basic everyday chat. I hate that my brain goes to these unhealthy spots at times and quite frankly if I dwell in these places, I always end up feeling insecure, empty and alone. So.....what do I do when these thoughts ambush my brain? Scott, the fortunate guy that he is has this ability to just DECIDE to NOT think about certain stuff and then... plain and simple... he does not. Well, a bit frustrated by his answer, because I am not one of those lucky souls to have been blessed with this gift, I asked Scott, "So what if you CAN'T just turn these pestering, lingering thoughts off? What do you then? I just want them to go away, but ... they won't."

Then Zane chimes in from the back " I have an idea mom!"
not realizing he was paying attention to our conversation I turn to the back seat...
"uh...yeah Zane"
"Well, just look around you. Look at God's creation. Ok, think about this...BIRDS, I mean look how amazing they are. C'mon they have BEAKS!. That's just crazy. Who could have thought to make a beak besides God. And then think about the trees. Look mom... they are just beautiful! So maybe you can just think about that stuff instead."

~sigh~ my son... I just love that kid!

Not only does the saying
"out of the mouths of babes" comes to mind, but also the scripture:
"Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.
Philippians 4:7-9

So there you go, I am being counseled by my 6 year old son now.

"beaks and trees, beaks and trees, beaks and trees"

5 comments:

bandwidow said...

I once got some advice on this topic (I was dwelling on a sad and frustrating time in my life). David told me to just read through the Bible. Even if you're not comprehending each word and sentence. To fill your mind with The Truth, pure words.

*Of course this is easy advice to give...harder to actuate (I can't remember the last time I picked up my Bible)

Anonymous said...

Amy, Zane is so right! What a God inspired little guy he is. Tell Zane that Grama Kate & GT are so proud of him!(and you too)

Jennifer said...

there are so many things about you that i love...one of them is that you are open and honest. i too struggle with thoughts which lead to insecurities and i love zane's advice. that kid...

tania said...

wow, that was really touching. also, i am always suprised at the fact that the kids pick up on so much of our conversations and moods. thanks for your honesty and sharing. you've got quite a remarkable boy there :)

Anonymous said...

i learned early with Abbey...they are ALWAYS listening! ;)

Good advice though Zane...beaks and trees. I'll keep that in mind. I get myself in those bad thought funks too...in fact in one now. Beaks and trees beaks and trees.