Monday, September 03, 2007

YOU KNOW IT'S HOT WHEN 97° FEELS COOL

We went to one of Zane's friend's birthday party yesterday in La Crescenta just 20 minutes north of us. While we we're there, the temps reached 119°. Can you believe it? I mean 119 degrees!?!? C'mon !!!! That is just too stinkin' hot! Well, thank God the party came fully equipped with a pool!! There were about twenty or so kids splashing about, while most of the parents lounged pool side, tucked away in the shade, steering clear of the drenched wild mob in the pool. Typically I would say that that is a brilliant idea, but... not yesterday. Instead of pleasant conversations with adults partnered with torrents of sweat dripping down my back (nice huh?) , I decided to brave the turbulent chlorinated depths. It was a risk, but I was going in. It was there in the water that I dodged larger than life floaties, that I got shot in the face with streams of jetting water pumped from high tech water toys, was ambushed from below, was repeatedly pummeled in the head by six year old flailing elbows and was jumped on, tackled and harassed in the attempts to take me down but, it was there... there in the chaotic waters of La Crescenta that I found complete and utter cool, bliss. I had finally escaped the feeling... that awful suffocating feeling that feels much the same as well...sitting in front of a huge hair dryer all day.

At one point in the party, the kids were ordered to exit the pool for cake, gifts and to take swings at their childhood hero. A poor red Power Ranger piñata got his legs knocked out from under him, which caused an immediate harried reaction. The semi dry mob scattered franticly in hopes to scoop up as many handfuls of candy as possible. But much to their surprise and dismay I might add, all they found was oozing remnants of liquid chocolate bars leaking onto the ground. It did not phase Audrey, one bit however, as she suddenly started asking for her chocolate drink. That's my girl...Adapt, Improvise, Overcome (at least when it comes to chocolate anyway)

Well, Scott the kids and I were fortunate enough,to go from the pool party to another friends' house for dinner. These good friends just so happen to have... yes... that's right a gorgeous huge POOL. As evening fell, the pool lights beamed subtly from under the shimmering water, casting a beautiful warm glow into the trees overhead. It was just a small group of us there and the adult /child ratio was much more balanced. We were in and out of the water until almost midnight. We had so much fun last night and on top of that, we felt so refreshed and relaxed for the first time all weekend. What a great, GREAT night!!!

5 comments:

Deana said...

119 degrees...YUCK!!!

But swimming at night while it is still warm....oh yeah!

bandwidow said...

That't the only way to stay sane, I woulda been right there with you at the birthday party...

tania said...

night swimming sounds like a great way to wrap up the summer! hoping it cools down for you guys soon!

Anonymous said...

Yes, um, that's why I wasn't at the first party. I knew the kid ratio would be too much for me. :)
Carrie

Anonymous said...

good lord, woman writer person. when is you to be going to doing the blogger'd thing for more of tasty goodness? I am seeking the more of the bloggy-blog-blog. when and why for am i to be reading and the same of none? It is terryfing to be for always waiting... when is to be more? that is question of many that are asked when the waking up is to begin. then the chekcing. and the nothing more. bring on the yuk-yuks and the ninnyhawhaws! i am not being pompous when to be asking for these things. For true! Keep the bloggy ways and means for in the end, the true self shall make its weary and shaggy head to be wondering forward. And the ducks will soon be in the rows. Please?