Tuesday, February 05, 2008

hooray for SCOOPS!!

Since my tenure as the 'Kept Man', me and the kids have managed to start many traditions -- the best of which is our weekly trip to SCOOPS. I pick up Audrey, then Zane and we drive over the wilds of the 110 to the 101 and get off at the Normandie/Melrose exit. You'd think that the kids would be excited, but every time, they both zonk out. Zane, usually four blocks from Scoops. It's the only time that Audrey doesn't wake up with a bad case of the grumpy-pants.

We walk in and look over all the new and delicious flavors. After reading each and every one, the owner lets us taste what interests us (Mmmm, dig that crazy Lavender Honey. Swoon over the Banana/Oreo/Coffee. Shiver at the salty sweetness of Sea Salt Chocolate. Watch Scott as he asks for another taste of Jim Beam Vanilla Bean or Guiness Chocolate!) Here's the flavors we settled on. (Yup, that last one is called Brown Bread. And holy macaroni is it ever the best. When the question is asked, WWJE?, I always bet on Brown Bread.) Audrey usually settles on Strawberry Thyme - but this week she hit the proverbial jackpot with Vegan Blueberry Banana. Audrey immediately snuggles up on the couch at the front of the store and gets to work on her ice cream with sprinkles.

Zane picks his favorite flavor of the week and starts to work on his homework.
He never studies as hard as he does at that little red table with his ice cream cone. No complaints, no moaning. Just steady slobbin' with his number two pencil. Even his penmanship is solid. I think that Bush could drop his (abysmal) 'No Child Left Behind' act and just have kids work for Scoops Ice Cream. Straight A's all the way.

So to quote Eddie Murphy, "I gots some ice cream. I gots some ice cream. And you can't have none... cuz your daddy's on the welfare." Unless you come visit LA - we'll even treat.

4 comments:

Deana said...

really? brown bread ice cream?

now that chocolate sea salt...there's something I could get behind. or get a behind from!

Dana said...

OH my heck that ice cream looks so good! I wish I was going there with you:)

You did give me a good idea I have to take pictures of my favorite new ice cream flavors you can only get in NZ....good blog idea:)

Tell those kids I MISS them and LOVE them!

Jennifer said...

so is the WWJE for Jesus or for me? cause you know, i can' be fooled once...never again will i take your word for which flavor i should try...NEVER AGAIN...i think i can still taste the bacon...

palomarace said...

hmmmmmmm, baaaacon.